Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 800.310.5520
Phone: 718.701.2776
The Law Offices of Frank J. Dito, Jr.

I was in an accident with a police car in New York- What should I do?


In New York, the law allows police to speed, run red lights and stop signs and even drive on the opposite side of the street as long as they are responding to a call with their lights and siren’s on. 

Section 1104 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law relieves the driver of a police car from the duty to obey the otherwise-applicable rules and regulations governing the movement of vehicles, but does not relieve the driver from “the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.” 



Frank J. Dito, Jr.
Car accident, personal injury and workers’ compensation attorney serving Staten Island and Brooklyn New York.