Q: My lawyer told me I am going to receive financial benefits from my injury. What types of financial benefits are there?
There are six types of award are permitted by the WCL for non-medical loss:
- temporary total disability benefits - for periods when you have been unable to work
- temporary partial disability benefit - for periods when you have been unable to work your normal hours or at your normal pay
- facial disfigurement awards - are subject to a judge’s discretion for facial disfigurement resulting from your work-related accident;
- permanent partial disability benefits - are awards for loss of physical function or for periods of partial wage loss after a claimant has been classified as having a permanent partial disability;
- permanent total disability benefits - are for loss of your wage earning capacity after you have been classified as having a permanent disability; and
- death benefits - which are compensation benefits awarded to a spouse, children or other family members following a work-related death.