Q: What were common uses of PCBs used prior to being banned?
Common places PCBs were used prior to being banned in 1979 were in the following places:
- Transformers and capacitors
- Other electrical equipment including voltage regulators, switches, reclosers, bushings, and electromagnets
- Oil used in motor and hydraulic systems
- Old electrical devices or appliances containing PCB capacitors
- Fluorescent light ballasts
- Cable insulation
- Thermal insulation material including fiberglass, felt, foam, and cork
- Adhesives and tapes
- Oil-based paint
- Carbonless copy paper
- Floor finish
For additional information about over-exposure to PCB's continue reading our PCB section.