Head, Neck and Back Injuries: Dangers of a Car Accident and the Injuries that Occur in Car Accidents
Being hit by a car can be devastating and cause severe and sometimes life threatening injuries to the parties involved. Careless drivers or distracted drivers who are involved in car accidents often find themselves at fault for severe injuries such as head, neck and back injuries.
Head Injuries Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) is the leading cause of death in persons under the age of 45 and is one of the most common injuries from motor vehicle accidents. Motor vehicle accidents can cause trauma to the brain in two different ways:
- Cerebral Cortex Bruising (Contusion) which occurs when an object hits the victims head or the victims head hits an object, this is usually called direct trauma. Cerebral bruising most commonly occurs when tips of the frontal and temporal lobes hit the interior of the skull. When an object makes contact with your head it can either penetrate or fracture the skull or not. When a severe brain injury occurs during a car accident it can be caused by hitting your head on your windshield, window or steering wheel. When the brain comes to a quick stop, the brain continues to move and hits against your skull which can cause bruising of the brain or bleeding of the brain (hemorrhage).
- Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI) occurs from indirect trauma. Being involved in a car accident can cause severe whiplash which often can result in the brain shaking or rotating enough to cause permanent brain damage. Severe whiplash during a car accident often causes the axonal fibers to stretch, twist or become damaged. Another way a diffuse axonal injury may occur is in a change of high speed velocity which is called isotopic stress which causes deforming or stretching of the brain tissue resulting in tearing. The instant compression of individual brain cells can cause damage to the internal structure of the brain cells and cause permanent injuries to the brain.
Neck Injuries are mostly common due to whiplash, which occurs when your head is violently thrown backward and forward. The severity of the whiplash your neck sustains during a car accident depends mostly on the intensity of the crash and the position your neck is in when the accident occurs. Whiplash can cause injury to your intervertebral joints, discs, and ligaments, cervical muscles, and nerves and can be determined by a physical examination and x-rays. While some neck injuries can be treated with therapy, massage and neck exercises others end up with long term disabilities and perform daily tasks without pain.
Back Injuries can be very severe and sometimes life threatening. There are quite a few ways that a car accident can cause injury to the back:
- Whiplash can happen when a car is hit especially from behind or if your body is turned when the accident occurs. Whiplash can cause back injuries such as muscle spasms in the neck and upper back area, increased neck pain with movement and increasing pain in the base of the neck.
- Lumbar or lower back sprain or strain are most often characterized by debilitating pain to the large muscle area in the lower back. Lumbar sprains or strains usually result in pain on either one or both sides of the lower back and can worsen at night or during activities.
- Spinal cord injuries are very dangerous and can be caused by different kinds of trauma including lacerations, bruising (contusion), excessive pressure (compression), and damage to the corticospinal tracts in the cervical spinal cord area. Spinal cord injuries are very debilitating and often cause paralysis, loss of feeling in certain parts of the body, nerve damage and sometimes even death.
Car accidents resulting in serious injury should be handled by an attorney who knows how to help you get compensated for your serious or life threatening injuries. Whether you were involved in a car accident which resulted in a head, neck, back or other injury you will want to contact an experienced attorney who can help you with your car accident injury case. The attorney will help you fight to be compensated for your injuries, pain, times missed from work, medical bills and long term disability. To contact a personal injury lawyer in the New York area contact Frank J. Dito Jr. Frank J. Dito Jr. is an experienced personal injury attorney with offices in Staten Island, New York.