Nursing Home Abuse in New York City
Nursing home abuse and nursing home neglect are two very real problems that exist in nursing home in New York and nationwide. Nursing home abuse and nursing home neglect can occur at any nursing home. Even the most reputable nursing homes are not exempt from the danger of possible nursing home abuse and neglect.
Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse can happen in many forms and can be very detrimental to an elderly person bothy physically and mentally.
- Some common forms of nursing home abuse are:
- Physical abuse
- Use of an unwarranted chemical
- Unnecessary physical restraints
- Emotional abuse
- Verbal abuse
- Retaliation for filing a complaint
- Sexual assault or rape
Nursing home neglect may occur when a nursing home fails to follow proper procedure either intentionally or unintentionally. Regardless of whether it is done intentionally or not elder neglect may cause depression, discomfort, sickness and even death in an elderly person.
- Common forms of nursing home neglect are:
- Failure to provide food or nutrition
- Failure to provide water or hydration
- Failure to assist in personal hygiene
- Failure to take necessary steps to prevent falls
- Failure to answer when emergency calls are made
- Failure to turn residents in their beds causing bed sores
- Failure to take residents to the bathroom and leaving them soiled in the bed
- Failure to take steps to prevent foreseeable injuries
- Failure to provide proper medical care
- Failure to administer medication