NY MTA Accident | Subway, Train, Bus Accident
A mass transit accident or a public transportation accident in New York City can be caused in many different ways - by a bus, subway, or a train. In New York City the main form of public transportation is the Metropolitan Transportation Authority which is also known as the "MTA".
Accidents can generally happen one of three ways:
- Injured while riding on public transportation;
- Injured while boarding onto public transportation;
- Injured driver of a vehicle from being hit by mass transit (such as a New York City bus); or
- Injured pedestrian from being hit by mass transit (such as a New York City bus or train).
No matter which category you fall into an accident caused by something as large as a city bus or a train can cause serious injuries or death when a person is injured by one.
There are many incidents involving New York City buses hitting pedestrians, other vehicles or causing those who are passengers on the bus to be injured. A few common reasons for bus accidents in New York City are:
- Negligent bus drivers
- Distracted bus drivers
- Abruptly stopping the bus
- Poorly maintained buses
- Hazardous bus stop areas (icy bus stops, broken sidewalk near bus stop, etc.)
New York City Subway Accident
New York City subways are very crowded and many people use this form of transportation around New York City every day. Unfortunately, there are also many people who are injured from subway accidents in New York. Common causes for accidents by subways in New York City are:
- Negligent subway operators
- Distracted subway operators
- Abruptly stopping the subway
- Poorly maintaining the subway
- Hazards in and around the entrance area onto the subway
- Hazardous staircases at the subway station
- Broken floor at the subway station
- Negligent train conductors
- Distracted train conductors
- Train abruptly stopping
- Hazards near the entrance of the train
- Train station hazards
- Closing door on passenger boarding the train (passenger may be dragged and severely injured as a result of this)
If you were injured in a MTA accident in New York City either from a bus, train or subway it is important that you speak with a lawyer in your area regarding your legal rights against the City of New York. If you are injured by a subway, train or city bus run by the MTA you will need to file a claim in New York City within 90 days of the incident.
How Can The Law Offices of Frank J. Dito, Jr. Help You?
When you are involved in a public transportation accident in New York City the MTA investigated the accident and attempts to determine the cause of the incident. Frank J. Dito Jr., Staten Island public transportation injury lawyer, handles both MTA related cases and non-MTA related cases. If you were injured on a bus, subway or train in Staten Island, Brooklyn, or anywhere else in New York City and the accident was caused by negligence (of the other party) we will investigate your accident on your behalf. This will help strengthen your case when we are representing you.