Parking Lot Accident
A parking lot accident can occur in a couple of different ways - there can be a parking lot accident with car to car contact or there could be an parking lot accident with car to pedestrian contact.
Parking lot accidents occur so easily because parking lots are usually full of people walking and cars coming in and out and also there are usually many isles of parked cars along with stop signs, entrances and exits. In many cases parking lot accidents may occur but without any injury to anyone instead there may only be damages to the vehicle but it is still important that you you exchange information and report it to your insurance company. Parking lot injuries occur when someone either in a car, walking or on a bike is injured due to negligence. If you have been injured in a parking lot accident and it is the result of a drivers negligence it is important that you follow some very important steps.
Steps to Take if You Were Injured in a Parking Lot Accident
- If you were injured while in your car pull out of the way of other cars, if possible. If you are unable to move the vehicles put on the emergency flashers, if possible;
- Immediately call for medical help;
- Call the police;
- Take pictures if you have a cell phone with a camera or a regular camera in your car. If you are unable to take pictures due to your injury and have someone else in the car with you have them take pictures for you. You will want to take pictures of your car, if you are in your car at the time of the injury, the other persons car, your injuries and the area surrounding the accident area;
- Exchange names, address, phone number and insurance information with each other (this is usually done by the police officer if the police were called due to the accident);
- Get names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses that are around (with their permission you can even get a picture of them at the accident scene also);
- Write down any additional notes regarding the accident such as time, date, location, weather conditions, parking lot conditions and any other information you find relevant to the accident or your injuries;
- Call your insurance company;
- Contact the owner of the parking lot the accident occurred at and ask if they have surveillance cameras in the area where your accident occurred. If so, ask if there is a way you can obtain a copy of the video tapes;
- Attend any follow-up appointments with doctors and specialists;
- Contact a lawyer if you are injured in a parking lot accident and also advise them of any extensive damages to your vehicle if you were in your car at the time of the accident.
If you are in the New York City area feel free to contact Frank J. Dito Jr. Staten Island Injury Lawyer to find out what next steps you should take to move forward with an injury case against the negligent driver who caused your injuries.